DOE News Release
Date: June 12, 2007
Time: 9:33 p.m.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
INL Fire Department issues all clear following afternoon fire at an INL's Reactor Technology Complex laboratory
The INL Fire Department has issued an all clear at the INL Site's Reactor Technology Complex (RTC) laboratory, where a fire occurred at approximately 1:40 p.m. today. Initial investigation determined damage was confined to the laboratory's fume hood.
- The fire department has implemented a re-entry plan for the facility.
- There were no serious injuries as a result of the fire and no radiological release was experienced.
- A laboratory technician sustained minor injuries when a fire resulted during the transfer of red phosphorus to a stainless steel container. Red phosphorus is a material commonly used to make roadside flares. The technician was treated and released from the Central Facilities Area (CFA) Medical Facility.
- All potentially impacted workers were evaluated and released including the two workers who received further evaluations.
- All RTC workers should report for work tomorrow at their normal times.
INL site Communications will be gathering more details about the incident during the evening. An update of today's incident will be made available to the media and State, county and tribal officials tomorrow.
Media Information: (208) 526-9206
Public Information: (208) 526-5042
News releases are posted on INL's Web site at http://newsdesk.inl.gov/
For more information about INL, visit our Web site at http://www.inl.gov/