Battelle Energy Alliance News Release
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 26, 2006
NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
Jeff Benson, 208-526-3841, Send E-mail
Idaho National Laboratory invests $70,000 to improve Idaho education
On April 18, the U.S. Department of Energy's Idaho National Laboratory awarded $70,000 in grants to Idaho schools and teachers to improve math, science and technology education. The grants come from Battelle Energy Alliance corporate funds. BEA is the managing and operating contractor of INL for the DOE.
The INL Teacher Mini Grant program is designed to recognize and support excellence in teaching by providing funds to enhance public and private elementary, middle school and high school science, mathematics and technology programs. Teachers applied for up to $2,000 per grant. The primary purpose of the grant is to provide for classroom equipment, material or teacher professional development.
Teachers applying for grants turned in proposals responding to the premise, "If I only had... then I could..." The INL grants supplement Idaho teachers' budgets for buying supplies and equipment for science, math and technology classes, and invest in those teachers and schools with innovative ideas.
INL awarded 39 grants to schools across Idaho. The following is a list of the teachers and schools receiving the INL Teacher Mini Grants:
- Ammon: Julia Abbott, Rimrock Elementary
- Bancroft: Samuel Wadsworth, North Gem Elementary
- Bellevue: Krista Jones, Bellevue Elementary
- Boise: Mark Westcott, Borah HS; Jon McMaster, Capital HS; Michael Horn, Centennial HS; Linda Stokes and Richard Whittaker, Collister Elementary; Kevin Kramer, Foothills School; Carol Herring, St. Mary's; Stuart King, Washington Elementary
- Caldwell: Mary Ollie, Caldwell HS
- Castleford: Roger Wells, Castleford School
- Coeur d'Alene: Virginia Hammond, Coeur d'Alene Charter
- Emmett: Anne Dutton, Butte View Elementary; Vana Richards, Carberry; Scott Meyers, Emmett HS; Geneva Buys, Emmett JH; Karen Read, Shadow Butte Elementary
- Hailey: Larry Barnes, Wood River HS
- Idaho Falls: Jeff Gee, Bonneville HS; Robert Peck, Calvary Chapel; Janelle Chaffin, Fox Hollow Elementary; Stephen Cossel, Skyline HS
- Kimberly: Kathleen Noh, Kimberly
- Malad: Martin Pope, Malad HS
- Marsing: John Lindley, Marsing HS; Jim Eisentrager, Marsing MS
- Meridian: Marjorie Freeman, Lewis & Clark MS
- Middleton: Robert Lazechko, Middleton MS
- Payette: Laura Thomason, McCain MS
- Pocatello: Eric Rude, Pocatello HS
- Post Falls: Andrea Gibson and Salvatore Lorenzen, Post Falls HS
- Shelley: Margie Feige, Hobbs MS, Vincent Wray, Shelley HS
- Twin Falls: Jo Dodds, O'Leary JH; Kathy Graham, Sawtooth Elementary
- Wendell: Lisa Love, Wendell HS
INL is one of the DOE's 10 multiprogram national laboratories. The laboratory performs work in each of DOE's strategic goal areas – energy, national security and science.