DOE News Release – Incident Alert
Date: July 9, 2008
Time: 3:20 p.m.
Wildland fire being battled at Idaho National Laboratory
Following is an update on the wildland fire reported at the U.S. Department of Energy’s Idaho National Laboratory’s desert site.
· The fire was reported at about 2 p.m. near mile marker 268 on the north side of U.S. Highway 20.
· The fire is currently estimated at about 300 acres.
· The fire is creating no threat to INL buildings.
· The INL Fire Department has responded to the scene. The Bureau of Land Management has also been called to assist.
· Heavy fire-fighting equipment is on its way to the scene.
· All INL field workers in the immediate area have been evacuated.
· Summer road construction on U.S. Highway 20 has been halted.
INL’s emergency Joint Information Center at the Engineering Research Office Building, 2525 Fremont Ave., Idaho Falls, has been activated to answer questions. Media should call (208) 526-9206, not your regular INL contacts. Employees and the public can call (208) 526-5042.
Media Information: (208) 526-9206
Public Information: (208) 526-5042
News releases are posted on INL’s Web site at http://newsdesk.inl.gov/
For more information about INL, visit our Web site at www.inl.gov