Home >> Visitor Information

Customs/U.S. Regulations, Embassy Registration, Passports, Language Classes


Customs/U.S. Regulations

Please visit the U.S. Customs Web site to obtain information about customs regulations when entering the United States. You will find information about bringing medications, pets and restricted goods into the country. The Web site also contains some very helpful traveler’s tips for coming to the U.S., including mailing goods to the U.S.

Embassy Registration

Notify your country’s embassy when you arrive at Idaho National Laboratory. Should a problem arise, your embassy can help you more quickly if you are already registered. To find your nearest embassy, search online.


Anyone planning international travel needs a passport from his/her country of citizenship. Your passport should be valid for six months beyond the intended length of your stay in the United States. If your passport expires while you are residing in Idaho, you will need to contact your nearest embassy or consulate (you are responsible for any costs associated with renewing your passport). You might be required to appear in person to renew your passport, which could mean a trip out of the state (This will also be at your expense).

Language Classes

English is the official language in Idaho Falls and at Idaho National Laboratory, even though many other languages are spoken locally. You and your family will need a good working knowledge of English to function comfortably at work and in the community. People with no knowledge of English will feel isolated. If necessary, take classes before you leave home. Eastern Idaho Technical College (EITC) offers free English classes Monday through Thursday (day and evening) during the school year. For more information, call 208-524-3000.


Page Contact Information:

Department of energy

DOE Office of Nuclear Energy
DOE-Idaho Office