Research and Development

NEUP seeks to align the nuclear energy research being conducted at U.S. colleges and universities with DOE’s mission and goals.

The program is supporting projects that focus on needs and priorities of key Office of Nuclear Energy programs, including fuels cycle, reactor concepts, and transformative “blue sky” research.

NEUP awards millions of dollars in research subcontracts each year through a two-part solicitation process that requires professors to submit pre-applications and then full proposals - if their application is passed forward.

All proposals are subjected to a rigorous, independent peer review process to eliminate bias and ensure those that are funded are based on technical merit and relevance to the Department’s mission.

All current R&D solicitations can be found on the "Current Solicitations" page.

Foreign Travel

In order for Nuclear Energy University Program (NEUP) funds to be used for foreign travel, the Request for Approval of Foreign Travel (click here) form must be completed and returned to 45 days prior to travel.  All abbreviations must be spelled out the first time they are used.  The justification for travel and the benefit to government areas need as much detail as possible. (Please DO NOT simply copy “justification” to the “Benefit to Government.”)  Justification should outline what you are going to be doing on your trip; benefit to government should indicate how your trip will benefit the traveler, university, and DOE HQ programs.  Dates and charge codes entered in this form MUST match the dates and codes used on the travel documents. 

All charge numbers will be added to the form once it is returned to

If you have any questions about the form or need assistance, please don’t hesitate to call Jenna at 208-526-1104.

Related Documents

Click here to view NEUP documents.

Documents include abstracts, workscopes, travel forms, budget forms, conflict of interest disclosure forms, etc.