Today, INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to meeting the nation's environmental, energy, nuclear technology, and national security needs. INL is a multiprogram, federally funded research and development center (FFRDC) emphasizing applied engineering to provide solutions for use across the DOE complex, as well as regionally, nationally, and world wide.
1. Advanced Facilities for Advanced Research
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is the nation's lead laboratory for nuclear energy research and development and is one of 10 multiprogram national laboratories supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's missions.
Scientists and engineers work at research facilities in Idaho Falls and various locations across INL's 890-square-mile (2,300 km
) Site. Using state-of-the-art laboratories, the lab conducts a wide range of engineering and scientific research supporting multiple programs and missions including:
- Advanced nuclear fuels, materials and separations;
- Bioenergy, fossil energy, geothermal energy, hydrogen and renewable energy systems;
- Robotics, instrumentation control and intelligent systems; and
- Microbiological, geological and environmental systems.
2. Homeland Security and Other Projects
INL also supports other government agency work, including the manufacture of tank armor for the Department of Defense, and the production of nuclear power sources used by NASA for space exploration.
Nuclear reactor design, infrastructure testing, unmanned aerial vehicle development and biotechnology applications are among INL's diverse capabilities.
In addition, the laboratory develops technologies and equipment for private industry and the Department of Homeland Security, helping to:
- Protect important infrastructures like electric grids, telecommunication networks and transportation systems;
- Reduce risks to worldwide nuclear energy systems;
- Secure our borders and cities from terrorist threats.
3. Our Contributions
Idaho National Laboratory researchers pioneered many of the world's first nuclear reactor prototypes and advanced safety systems. The lab's internationally recognized contributions in nuclear science, engineering and materials testing underpin the safe operation of nuclear power plants throughout the world. INL continues to lead the development of the next generation of nuclear energy technologies and is educating the next generation of nuclear scientists and engineers.